Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hand-me-downs and traditions

The tablecloth in the previous post was given to me by my mom when I moved to Idaho. If I am not mistaken, it was one of her wedding gifts from 1952. It is a small square linen luncheon cloth with several shades of blue stripes and a 3" blue border. The border is noticeably stiffer than the rest of the cloth...I am assuming it either is due to the dye, or the cloth was woven tighter and with more threads on the edges. Does anyone with vintage textile knowledge know if that was a common practice? At any rate, it's the perfect size for my round table. When I was a little girl, my mom would use it on the small table she would sometimes set for tea, warmed eggnog, or hot cocoa for my younger sister and me. I cherish the memories and mother's love interwoven into its fibers. And I am reminded again that I need to ask if she remembers who gifted it to her so I have that provenance info to pass along to my children.

The food is shown on a 1950s-era rose Fiestaware plate, one of 6 different ones gifted to our family by Bro#2 and his lovely wife. I need to shop for one more since we added another child. Actually, one suffered irreparable injuries at the hands of dishwashers-in-training, so I guess I need to shop for two more. And now that I am thinking about it, my daughter is getting married in July, so I guess I really need to shop for 3 more!

I have been trying to decide if I want to add antique/vintage Fiestaware plates for each new member of the family. Fiestaware sets such a festive, colorful, cheerful table and it has become a family ritual to use them for birthday dinners. So, if I am to continue the tradition, I must get more plates. Right now we supplement the Fiestaware with cheap pottery plates in similar colors. But they look clunky and ...well....cheap. So I guess the hunt is on. I don't know if I can find the extras in time for favorite son's birthday.

Are you shocked that I admit publicly that I have a favorite? !

As a mom of five...all boys except for four...it has been a source of family amusement to dub him 'my favorite son.' But when I acquire sons-in-laws, I will have to retire the expression.
"We're not losing a daughter, we're gaining a son" sounds cliche' to say (and never fear, I shall NOT utter it at any of the wedding functions!) but I DO want to live that sentiment out. I called my husband's parents "Mom" and "Dad" just like I did my own. And I shall plan to 'own' all my kids-in-law in similar fashion.

I really wanted to find a photo of fiestaware, but I have grown weary of searching the 'net for one that I like. I might try my hand at snapping a shot of my few plates later on today...or I may just let your imaginations run free!

No comments: