Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mono-chromatic drama

The title has a double meaning. The monochromatic ivory tones combined with the double black-core mat and the black beads is pretty dramatic. But it also posed a hefty design challenge for me and resulted in more than a few heavy sighs!




I discovered my long hiatus from paper filigree had substantially dulled my design skills, and having to rely solely upon textures, weight and placement and not as heavily upon color was harder than I expected, especially when combined with the striking edges of the mat. It took a good deal of time to find a layout that helped draw the eye around the entire composition rather than hone right onto the mat lines.


The customer sent along the original envelopes with her 41 year old invite (how's that for a testament of enduring love?) hoping that I could incorporate them into the piece. I loved the idea as soon as she mentioned it, and used the creamy envelope paper to create circle-punch 'frosting flowers' and some of the fern foliage.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has worked with monochromatic designs and discovered, like me, that it was more challenging than it looks!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - those black-core mats knock me out - beautiful! Lovely work, as always, Paula!

Sonya said...

Beautiful!!! I love the fringed flowers. And yes I also have a hard time with monochromatic, I think it has to have other color when it is so pretty with tone on tone! Glad to see another of your awesome quilling!!!!

word verification: padoati, fits since I am your padoin learner since you were an inspiration to me when I first started quilling!!!

ana @ i made it so said...

wonderful inspiration here, paula. thank you for sharing your site with me. i'll have to go digging through the archives as i find time...

beautiful work.

gullnas said...

weiße Blumen gefallen mir

chillin with Quillin said...

lovely flowers , it all runs together Beautfully !
Paula

Katrin said...

Потрясающая работа! Такая нежная и белоснежная! Супер!!!

Kasia Wojtasik said...

Paula, this design is very light in all its possible meaning! I love such ivory color, and I'm surprised about your choice of black beads, but it looks really GREAT! (I also like to combine beads and qullling)
What about monochromatic works... hm. in my mind I have such project, and I'm going to strat it in a few days. I don't know if it would be so challenging for me :)
Regards,
Kate

ryanmay1177 said...

Excellent post, I conceive site owners need to learn a whole lot from this site it’s really user friendly……Advanced SystemCare Pro Crack Full Version

erectile dysfunction natural remedies said...

Magnificent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you're just too excellent. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful website.